Friday, April 4, 2008

Please Save the Date (and tell your significant other to save it too)

I am in the process of working on my save-the-dates, which I absolutely cannot wait to blog about. They are whimsical and fun and will hopefully set the tone for a wonderful weekend. As soon as I receive the final file, I promise that you’ll see them!

In the meantime, Mr. Bliss and I are trying to figure out Save the Date etiquette. Our immediate guest list of family and friends is settled and we know which friends will be receiving the “plus one” invitation. For our friends currently dating someone seriously, we have made an effort to include the significant other’s full name on “the list.” I can tell you, when you’ve been in a relationship for years, it is really annoying to receive an invitation to the wedding of someone you’ve spent time with and be referred to as “guest!”

The issue for us is how to address our friends who are simply dating. In most cases, we would like to extend the option for them to invite a guest – we just don’t know who exactly it may be. Typically, the ”bring a guest” option is on the inner envelope of the invitation. However, I’m a planner by nature – and if I were planning to attend a wedding on a holiday weekend in the summer, and my destination was far from home, I would like to know if I’d be travelling alone or with a companion. Should we address our save-the-dates to Mr. Nice Guy and Guest? Or just spread the word by phone that a guest is welcome? What are you doing?

No comments: